Women are facing homelessness for a slew of reasons (i.e. rampant unemployment and subsequent loss of economic security or running away from abuse and trafficking) and would like nothing more than to get their feet back on the ground.
The next time you’re treating yourself to a new lipstick shade at your fave makeup counter, consider donating your old cosmetics to charity. Need help getting started?
What can you donate? Organizations are looking for beauty products, but can be a little picky with what they accept. Consider handing over the following:
• Any cosmetic that has been unopened and/or unused.
• Nail polish of any shade
• Sanitized press powders and shadows
• Partially used products like shampoo/conditioner and hand cream can be okay, but anything that has been in direct contact with your body and put back in the tube (like mascara or lip gloss) is a no-no.
• If your makeup is expired, don’t even think about donating that.
Where can you donate? A few organizations that also willing to pass on donated beauty products and cosmetics include:
• Women-friendly shelters who accept in-kind donations. A helpful directory to find a shelter in your area can be found here.
• The Beauty Bus Foundation, a non-profit dedicated to pampering chronically ill men, women and children with beauty and grooming services/products.
• Our fave charities GEMS (shampoo/conditioner and body lotion) and Dress for Success (unopened cosmetics)
Get your community involved! Why not put a chic twist on the average cosmetics drive? Host a dinner party for the charity you want to support with your donations. Make the admission price to get into your hoppin’ get-together one new or unused beauty product. More tips on how to throw a successful and glam event can be found in our helpful guide.